Saturday, January 7, 2012

Good news! And a little complaining

I know it's been forever since I've posted a blog, but I have a good excuse...er, reason. I've been busy finishing the manuscript I wrote with my aunt. It's fun and exciting and officially in the hands of our editor. Hopefully we'll be signing books in no time!

Since I was so busy working on the book with my aunt, I've gone nowhere with my self-publishing efforts with the Abraxas series. Yes, I feel terrible about it, but now I've got some time so I'm diving back into it. Seriously. Don't roll your eyes. You'll see. Again, I'll be signing books in no time!

But while we're waiting, how about a little complaint about something that's been on my mind: Christmas music. I love Christmas time, but the one thing about it that makes me cringe every year is when they put Christmas music on the radio. There I am, bopping away to Lady Gaga or Led Zeppelin or White Stripes or whatever (depending on radio station) when all of a sudden, White Christmas starts coming at me. Or Little Drummer Boy. Or that song a bunch of celebrities got together to do in order to raise money for charity.

Look, I don't dislike any of these songs per se, but they have to be in context! I intentionally watch the movie White Christmas every year and love it. But when I'm listening to normal, non-holiday music on a normal, non-holiday radio station, that's what I want to hear. Not an unexpected version of Mariah Carey singing Silent Night. For instance, if I choose to listen to a classic rock station, I wouldn't want them to suddenly slip in a hip hop song or Dolly Parton. That's not what I want to listen to. So why's it OK to do that with Christmas music?

The good news is that the holidays are over and I don't have to worry about this problem for 11 more months. During that time maybe I should just buy myself some new CDs and I can listen to them in the car throughout the month of December. Have I just become a modern-day Scrooge? Bah-humbug!

Here's to a happy and safe 2012!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment