Friday, July 29, 2011

A good story

I love a good story. One with fun and action and likable characters and a happy ending. There's nothing like diving into a new movie or TV show or book and finding a unique story that just sucks you in and keeps you entertained from beginning to end. Some of my favorite examples include the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, the Firefly TV show, and the Hunger Games book. And this weekend I have high hopes for Cowboys and Aliens.

No, I haven't seen it yet since it's just opening today, but the reviews are good. I love the concept and as soon as I heard it, I wanted to kick myself for not thinking of it first. After all, why do you need high tech gadgets to fight aliens? Even in alien stories set in the future like Battlestar Galactica, we still get our butts handed to us by the aliens. But in the past, the stench coming from a bunch of grimy gold miners should be able to take out an alien fleet.

Of course, one problem with a lot of the entertainment I've run across lately is that it's just a bunch of sequels that re-hash the same story over again. Or when movies there's very little story at all and just a bunch of explosions or car crashes. I find myself leaving the theater wondering why they didn't spend a little more on a screenwriter and saved themselves millions on special effects.

So I'm hoping to see a unique story this weekend with an actual plot and dialogue, and if they just re-hash it for a sequel next summer, I'll guess I'll worry about that when it happens.

Happy summer movie going!
Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment