Wednesday, June 15, 2011

ISBNs and Cover Size

I've learned that size is important when it comes to book covers. Also ISBNs are vital and I need one for each version of each of my books (print, ebook, etc.). And they cost over $100 each. But I can get free ISBNs from some publishers, but they're only good for books I sell through those publishers. Yes, I'm learning a lot about the self-publishing world, but my head is also spinning. Fool that I am, I had mistakenly thought that this whole adventure would take a week or two. Now I'm staring down the barrel of a full summer project. But it's pretty cool that at the end of it my Abraxas books will be back out in the world.

So right now I'm going through both manuscripts with a fine-tooth comb for the last time to make sure they're in perfect shape. Stones of Abraxas has already been published once, but as with practically any book, there were some typos and things that I wanted to edit, and Heroes of Abraxas has never been published or edited by a professional editor. Then it's onto the formatting phase where I've got to format both manuscripts for print and ebook versions. Depending on who you listen to, this process can be quick or it can be a hellish nightmare.

So progress is being made. If anyone has any suggestions to make this process easier, please let me know. As you can tell, I can use all the help I can get.

Next time: Which is easier? Formatting a manuscript or removing your own appendix?

No comments:

Post a Comment