Sunday, June 12, 2011

Let me explain...

In 2006, my first book was published. It's a YA fantasy called STONES OF ABRAXAS. I ran around like crazy setting up book signings at stores, libraries, conferences, and anywhere else they'd have me. I hosted a book release party at my house. Never mind that it was 100 degrees in the shade with 300% humidity, it was a great party. Sadly, 3 days before the book was released, my publisher announced the end of its YA line. In other words, my book was an orphan even before it was formally born.

Since the book was already printed, it was released, and I promoted the heck out of it. In the meantime I searched for a new publisher that would publish the rest of the Abraxas books. (It's a series of 5 called The Abraxas Pentagram.) I did find a new publisher after about a year and a half, but they ended up going out of business in 2008 before they released any of the books. This is sad for me, but it's also sad for the people who read STONES OF ABRAXAS and want to see what happens in Book #2 HEROES OF ABRAXAS. What to do?

Fortunately, technology has been catching up with what I need. I keep hearing about other authors who decided to self-publish their books in both e-book format and print format. Some are first-time authors who couldn't find publishers. Others are well-known authors who wanted more control over their work. And some are like me whose books have gone out of print and they want them back where readers can find them.

So I'm taking the plunge. And that's what this blog is all about. I'm keeping a record of how I'm publishing and promoting my Abraxas series all by myself. No, I don't know what I'm doing. No, I have no technical skill. And, no, obviously I'm not particularly bright. But I'm going go get Abraxas back out there. I hope you come along for the ride!

Kim

No comments:

Post a Comment